Wheeler Dealers - Halmerend

My wife’s on a hen do tonight so thought I’d catch up on some old Wheeler Dealers. Just watched five old episodes and find it quite sad that none of them are still on the road despite all that love and effort. Thoughts?

[made subject a bit more meaningful - mod]

Edited by Xileno on 19/05/2024 at 06:48

Any - Any - Big John

Wheeler Dealers usually just fix a couple of things that are good for filming on TV. It's not a program that fully restores cars - it's just a tart up and deal scenario. It doesn't take much to write a car off re MOT repair costs and rust is still a thing. Look around you, previously common cars are vanishing. Even the common Mondeo is starting to be a rare sight!

Edited by Big John on 18/05/2024 at 22:36

Any - Any - Xileno

"Even the common Mondeo is starting to be a rare sight!"

That reminds me - yesterday I saw again the K reg MK1 that potters around locally, it looks immaculate. I keep meaning to note down its reg and have a look at the MOT history, I magine welding must be regular.

Any - Any - Steveieb

I’d like to know where the cars are advertised after they are refurbished.

They turn out to be great buys and Mike has no problems shifting them.

They have had a fortune spent on them especially the man hours !

Any - Any - bathtub tom

It's a fictional, scripted, entertainment programme, not a serious documentary.

Any - Any - gordonbennet

Talking of rare sights, was overtaken during the week on the M4 by a very well looked after 02 plate LWB Frontera cruising comfortably at motorway speeds, can't recall the last time i saw one, carried many during my Network Q shifting years.

So many of the really good cars were disposed of due to the ridiculous scheme of the time (which can't be named because of the language filter on this forum), thousands more were exported to eastern europe and Africa where durable reliable and tough mean rather more than toys and badges, many docks in the early noughties especially hundreds of cars at a time many of us would have given our eye teeth for....probably being replaced by Diesels which people were told to buy.

Any - Any - Halmerend
“We’ve made a tidy £300 profit on the car if you conveniently forget that Ed has been working on it for two weeks solid”.
Any - Any - groaver

Talking of rare sights, was overtaken during the week on the M4 by a very well looked after 02 plate LWB Frontera cruising comfortably at motorway speeds, can't recall the last time i saw one, carried many during my Network Q shifting years.

I always thought they called it the Frontera because owners were at the frontera queue at the dealership warranty dept.

I'll get my coat...

Edited by groaver on 19/05/2024 at 18:41

Any - Any - badbusdriver

The Frontera name is actually being resurrected for the Vauxhall badged version of the new electric Citroen C3!

Any - Any - Xileno

I think the early Fronteras were a bit ropey, Vauxhall's quick attempt to jump on the 4x4 bandwagon in the 90's.

Saw an immaculate Stag in yellow earlier with the roof down. It still looks a good design today, just a shame BL didn't stop to build the thing properly. The smell of uncatalysed petrol is one to bring back memories.

Any - Any - badbusdriver

I think the early Fronteras were a bit ropey, Vauxhall's quick attempt to jump on the 4x4 bandwagon in the 90's.

They were certainly fairly primitive, even for the time!. The Frontera appeared in the UK in 1991 as a rebadged 1989 Isuzu Mu, which in turn was based on the Isuzu Faster pick-up from the year before.

I seem to recall that the early 2.0i models used the engine from the Opel Manta GTE(!). I also remember that the Frontera performed very poorly in crash tests!. But in reference to GB's comments about being reliable. tough and durable, on (I think) the very last Top Gear of the Clarkson era, he bought a Frontera for a cheap SUV challenge. At one point, their cars were rolled sideways down a steep slope, whereupon Clarkson got in the Frontera (I think it actually ended up on its wheels) fired it up and drove away!.

In the mid 90's I did a very thorough valet on an early Frontera 2.0i Sport 3 door. The chap who bought it considered the Frontera his dream car(!) and bought it using money he was awarded following an accident. The car was already in very good condition, but its new owner wanted it looking as close to new condition as was possible.

I had a look on Ebay following GB's post. There are three Frontera's on there, at least two of which I quite fancy!

Any - Any - daveyjp

Another old Vauxhall spotted last weekend on the M1,

A Cavalier from the mid 90s, even more surprising it was a turbo 4x4.

Any - Any - gordonbennet

They were certainly fairly primitive, even for the time!. The Frontera appeared in the UK in 1991 as a rebadged 1989 Isuzu Mu, which in turn was based on the Isuzu Faster pick-up from the year before.

Vauxhall using some good sense sharing things with Isuzu, same with Monterey which was a rebadged Trooper, not forgetting that gem of a 1.7 Diesel engine which still powers numerous Astra vans which prove impossible to overtake.

I liked the Frontera a lot, it was a heavy beast though having a full ladder chassis so would have benefitted more from having the 3.1 litre Trooper engine shoe horned in or even the 2.8 from the previous Trooper.

Morphing pick ups into shooting brake 4x4's provides tough and still fairly smiple vehicles, Toyota and Mitsubishi been doing this for years with 4 Runner/Surf and Challenger etc, generally they change the rear spings for coils and soften the suspension settings, though as i recall Frontera was still on leaf rear springs, nothing wrong with that, Toyota 70 series Landcruisers are still on leafs and still in high demand as the best and toughest off roader one can have short of military designs.

Had many good experiences delivering Network Q cars, many of which had only been used for 6 months on the staff car scheme with very low mileage, one memorable experience was delivering an Astra turbo flying machine to a tiny Vx dealership in a SW village possibly Somerset or Dorset i can't remember where, as i unstrappped this rare beasty a lovely lady of obviously advanced years (still a most attractive woman) came bounding up the road excited as a teenager getting her first pony, she'd bought this one and was so happy to see it arrive.

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/05/2024 at 07:45

Any - Any - Steveieb

My son picked up an Astra Van with the Isuzu engine and won’t part with it even though he gets requests most weeks.

The fuel consumption is truly phenomenal and the residual value has bottomed out. So he keeps it for a fallback run around for his Transit.

Any - Any - craig-pd130

Saw an immaculate Stag in yellow earlier with the roof down. It still looks a good design today, just a shame BL didn't stop to build the thing properly. The smell of uncatalysed petrol is one to bring back memories.

I saw one too on Saturday, unfortunately in a layby with its bonnet up, as was common in the 70s when mechanics or owners didn't use the right type of antifreeze in the cooling system.

But you're right, still a lovely-looking thing even today. It's a pity that they had to retain the roll-over bar and central support to the windscreen, but Triumph made a prototype without those components and the body flex and scuttle shake was horrendous.

Any - Any - Gibbo_Wirral

I’d like to know where the cars are advertised after they are refurbished.

They have had a fortune spent on them especially the man hours !

Mike often lists them on his social media

Any - Any - Terry W

I enjoy the program - it takes me back several decades when I fixed my own cars.

They replace obviously defective mechanical bits, and I assume if they respray the car is prepared properly.

The "free" skilled mechanic and very well equipped workshop are not reflected in the profit they declare. Pricing these in at (say) £70-100 per hour would quickly change profit to loss.

They do not to fully restore older vehicles as a private owner may - eg: stripping off old underseal + application of rust proofing, replacing rubber components unless obviously worn, dealing with surface corrosion of parts that otherwise need no other work etc.

A vehicle sold for (say) £3k is likely to go to someone with more limited resources who may sell it on if material work is required. The buyer of a £20k car may behave differently.

I would expect cars they sell are great for a few years but without further care will rapidly deteriorate where a fully restored car may run for much longer without further attention.

Any - Any - galileo

I enjoy the program - it takes me back several decades when I fixed my own cars.

They replace obviously defective mechanical bits, and I assume if they respray the car is prepared properly.

The "free" skilled mechanic and very well equipped workshop are not reflected in the profit they declare. Pricing these in at (say) £70-100 per hour would quickly change profit to loss.

They do not to fully restore older vehicles as a private owner may - eg: stripping off old underseal + application of rust proofing, replacing rubber components unless obviously worn, dealing with surface corrosion of parts that otherwise need no other work etc.

A vehicle sold for (say) £3k is likely to go to someone with more limited resources who may sell it on if material work is required. The buyer of a £20k car may behave differently.

I would expect cars they sell are great for a few years but without further care will rapidly deteriorate where a fully restored car may run for much longer without further attention.

I have found that most car windscreens are pitted/scratched after 10 years and when the sun or headlights shines through them vision is affected. I don't recall WD ever replacing one

Edited by galileo on 20/05/2024 at 15:51